Friday, March 5, 2010

Lessons from Motherhood, 3 Month Edition


I just can't believe Bruce is three months old today!  In honor of his three month birthday, I thought I would share a few more lessons I have learned since becoming a mom:

I have learned that ...

8. It does get easier.  Yes there is a steep learning curve to being a new parent, but once you get the hang of it, it's really not that hard.  (I know ... spoken like the mom of a truly "easy" baby.  Yes, we are spoiled and we know it!)

9.  Time really does fly. Three months old today, how is that possible??!  It seems like he just turned two months old a minute ago, and in the blink of an eye, another month has flown by.  Makes me want to just soak up every minute with him.  I don't even want to think about the fact that he won't be my snuggly little sweet potato for long.

10.  I love my husband more now than ever before.  Cheesy yes, but true.  Seeing Gage as Bruce's daddy makes me love him more than I ever thought I could.

11.  Being pregnant really does suckIt's only now, looking back, that I realize how very much I dislike being pregnant (of course I loved it at the time, because I had our little Peanut to look forward to).  It is so nice to be myself again - to have the energy to do things, and regained zest for life.  Pregnancy seemed to sap all of the creativity out of me ... I had no interest in scrapbooking, jewelry making, knitting, and on and on.  Even when I would try to be creative it just wouldn't work out (case-in-point: decorating Bruce's room).  I just never knew pregnancy could change a person so much, and I'm not even talking the physical part!  (Let's just say I was very thankful when, 6 weeks POST-delivery, the swelling was finally gone from my hands and feet.  Yes, it took SIX FULL WEEKS.)

12.  Leaving my baby at daycare is like leaving my heart behind.  I take back everything I ever said about "chopper moms" and over-anxious parents.  I just didn't get it.  (Libby, I know you're laughing right now ...)

13. I'm not as selfish as I thought I was.  For the longest time, I really thought I might be just too selfish to be a good parent.  I wanted to be able to do what I want to do when I want to do it.  How on earth was I going to be able to put a tiny human's needs before my own?  I didn't know that everything changes on a base level when you become a parent.  I didn't know I wouldn't mind middle-of-the night feedings.  I didn't know I would gladly spend most of my free time before and after work unpacking baby stuff, cleaning baby stuff, repacking baby stuff.  I really didn't know how much I would simply change.  Now, I find the only thing I'm seriously selfish about is my time with Bruce. 

14.  I wish someone had told me how much fun it is to have a baby!  How was I to know that a tiny little pile of mush who can only flail about and flash gummy smiles would be so danged FUN!

3 comments:

Sara Shaffer said...

Happy 3 Months, Bruce! Sarah, great lessions. I definitely have to agree with the time does fly and the not as selfish as I thought. I can't imagine life without Ashlyn. It sure has helped that you have a baby that is a month older so I can see how much easier it gets and to know that the stage Ashlyn is in is normal! Thanks for being a great friend!

Libby said...

of course you would be a great parent and love it - you took such joy being a stepmom and an aunt - you were always so joyful to be with them and loved them so much - we love watching you be a momma!!

Don Hineman said...

Sarah, I'll say it again... I love your writing. This blog entry is a classic. One correction though. Bruce isn't just flailing about and flashing gummy smiles. He is COMMUNICATING, and you are buying what he is selling!