Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valentine's Day Treats

Favorite Valentine's Weekend Treats: 1. Making Cookies with Emily 2. Mom and Dad coming to visit 3. Lobsters! 4. A rose bush and fishing pole from my husband (I gave him a mushroom growing kit ... yes, we're weird, but we sure are a good match!) "Okay, but this is the last picture. Can we just eat the cookies already??" It has been since September since mom and dad last came to visit (they were set to come in December, but of course things changed a little bit ...). It was so fun showing them around - our first house guests! Good thing they are understanding, as we don't currently have a door up on the guest room. :) Mom and Dad brought lobsters to cook for Valentine's dinner - delicious! However, as it turns out, seeing a live creature get turned into dinner right in your very own kitchen is pretty traumatic for a nine-year-old. As a result, Emily had a peanut butter sandwich for dinner. :) Makes me appreciate the life lessons I learned on the farm. Note to self: Reason #589 for getting some sort of livestock: life lessons. (I'm not going to share the story about Koda getting into the trash that night and crunching on lobster shells in Emily's room, because it's just not cool ... thanks mom for helping with that! We promise to get the door up asap!) Due to President's Day on Monday, I got the day off! I worked on various odd jobs around the house ... not fun, but necessary. Somebody should have warned me that caulking one window could potentially take more than an hour. However, Gage did make me promise to find time to plant my seeds. I got the suckers all planted, and then realized I didn't have anywhere to put them. So, for the past three days, they have been living on the warm floor downstairs ... a pretty good place to start them germinating, even if the light wasn't the best. Last night I bought shelves and set up a little grow station on the loft. Most of the time, it doesn't even occur to me that this is weird - having a whole shelf of tiny plants right in the middle of your living space. It's a good thing I have an understanding husband. Like I said, we are a good fit. :) After I had planted four flats of plants, it hit me how extremely crazy I am. Where in the heck am I going to plant all of these??? I can maybe, MAYBE fit the tomatoes and peppers in the current gardens, but the two flats of perennials??? ... where are they going to go??? I am going to have to start work perparing flower beds soon. Check out this little sprout! He had just been marinating in his warm, dark little flat and popped right up even without light. Neat! Now that I have the grow lights set up, I bet they go crazy! This particular little guy is going to be a black-eyed susan.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I just love reading about your "sprouts!"... It makes me want to do it... but haven't... just dreamed! Poor Emily, that would have been Lexy for sure! I know you loved having your folks and I know they were loving being there! I had an email from a teacher here as they recognized Hineman, and your dad was quoted in an education email about hunter education not really being feasible in the public schools.... pretty neat... If you haven't seen it... let me know--I will send it to you.