Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Finishing Projects

This weekend was monumental - Gage finished the stonework and it looks amazing! Roger and I have already been thinking up other stone laying jobs we think Gage outta do .... I came up wtih laying stone on the front of the kitchen island. Roger thinks he should do a stone cooker in the back yard. :) Someday. The point is, when someone is that good at something, you can't let the talent go to waste, am I right? Two mantels will go on top of the stone walls on each side. The walls are about a foot different in height - just to keep things interesting. :) Inside the walls will provide wood storage. We also found time to catch a few fish this weekend. :) Emily caught this catfish, and Gage and I both caught a bass (mine was bigger ...). Yummy fish for dinner! Back in the garden - about a week after planting my seeds, the tomatoes are sprouting away! In fact, they are growing a little toooo fast. I put them right under the light, but they are still getting a little spindly. Luckily with tomatoes when you pot them up, you can simply plant most of the stem under the soil, leaving just the leaves exposed and the stem will root. The pepper seeds are just starting to sprout, and my flowers are mixed - some sprouted right up and others are taking a little coaxing. I'm finding there is definitely a connection between ease of growing a plant and price you pay for it at the store.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I love the rock!! And he is good at it! The mantles will look soooo good! Do I need special lights to help the seedlings???

Betsy said...

I agree, Gage does beautiful work. I agree that after a break he should start on another rock project. He's a pro!!! Did Emily have any trouble watching the fish cook (like the lobster)?