Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creative Spaces

With the bulk of our house construction now finished, Gage and I have been turning our energies to other pursuits. (I know, I know ... we still have doors to hang, trim to touch up, etc. etc ... we will get it done eventually!) We are blessed in our new home to each have our own "creative space" Both of our rooms are right off of the living room - mine has a wide door (or will have a door one day ... ) so that when I work on projects, I don't feel closed off from the rest of the house/family. However, the door will be essential, so that when I make really big messes, I can hide them. :) An aside: last night I was commenting that since moving into the house, the excitement of some of the conveniences we had been living with out has since worn off (washer and dryer, etc.) However, one thing that I used to often view as a chore I have yet to get even remotely tired of in our new house - cooking. Last night I think I figured out why. In past houses, my kitchen has always been a separate little room, so I was literally shut off from the rest of the house/family when cooking. With my new kitchen, it is really smack dab in the middle of the action. I think I love cooking so much more now because I get to create yummy foods while still being around Gage and Emily. Wow, that was the tangent for the day ... Below is my creative space/craft room from the living room. As I said, neither Gage nor I have taken time to really work on our rooms until now, but we both have great starts! The feature I am currently most excited about in my room is the desk ... this was Gage's that he no longer has a use for, so he gave it to me. Yea! Great crafting space! I'm trying to decide whether to paint it cream (same as the cubbies) or a dark espresso color. I think I am leaning more toward espresso, though I don't really know why ... Here is what is happening in Gage's creative space ... Yum! Shitakes! I'm going to have to start searching for recipes. Gage's creative space really looks more like a lab ... fitting I guess. We don't have Emily's desk set up in her room yet, but she has a creative space, too. Unfortunately, she has to share the space with my treadmill, but I don't think she minds. :)

2 comments:

Libby said...

ohhh, I vote espresso. LOVE IT!! Can't wait to come visit - I agree about the cooking thing, I like it when the whole family is in the room w/ me, I like that about your parents house too.

Rhonda said...

I like espresso, too! How exciting! And you will have to ask Lexy about my pronouncing of shitake mushrooms... Geez! HA!