Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sign of Storms to Come?

Yesterday evening, I was out back, taking pictures of the deck in progress. After I realized that the first few pictures weren't turning out, I changed the setting on my camera and tried again. Nothing. Different setting ... still nothing. I finally gave up, perplexed by the whole thing. It looked by the pictures as if it were super foggy last night. But it wasn't.
Here is a picture of the garden shed Gage is building, taken a few mornings ago. If definitely WAS foggy then. The picture looks similar to the one I took last night.
Now, I'm no photographer, and I certainly don't have a high-quality camera, but I still felt like I should be able to figure out what was going on with those stinking pictures!
Later that night when the storms rolled in, I realized that perhaps the high, high humidity was what had ruined my pictures? Still not sure, but it seems logical.
The little storm seemed to park itself right over Winfield last night, dumping between 4-8 inches around the area. Multiple tornado warnings were issued throughout the night. After assuring friends and family who had called to check on us (thanks guys!) that we were indeed okay, I headed to bed.
However, after the first tornado warning passed, another one popped up, even closer than the first. I've learned that one of the most terrifying things in the world is to be woken up by my husband saying, "Sarah, you had better come downstairs."
As I got downstairs, we looked at each other as we heard a constant, dull roar, that was quickly becoming louder. Without hesitating, we ran to get the dogs and as I opened the front door a crack, the wind blew it open. I grabbed the puppy and yelled for Koda, barely able to push the door closed behind us. We ran to the safe room and sat there for a few minutes until the roar passed. As we waited out the storm, Ellie sat on my lap, and continually licked my hand ... not sure if she was trying to comfort herself or me! It worked for me. :)
After that, the storm passed quickly. The roar was almost certainly from straight-line winds ... dangerous, but it could certainly be worse. It was sickening to hear a noise you have only heard described by people who have experienced a tornado. This morning, I could see little damage to our home. Other than small items that had blown about, I don't think anything was damaged. Thank God we made it through that one.

1 comment:

Libby said...

see I had reason to be worried! oh my, I'm so glad you are ok and little peanut - seriously, I am going to love being an aunt to a new baby - it's a new thing for me and I can't wait to spoil the little girl/guy :)