Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Monster Tomato Plants, but ...

  ... no tomatoes.  Really kinda bummed at this point.  Makes me feel like I don't know what I am doing.  Anyone have any ideas why our high tunnel tomatoes won't set fruit?

I have ruled out overfertilization ... if that were the case, the plants wouldn't have blossoms, and they are COVERED with blossoms.

Can't be a lack of pollinators with our abundance of honey bees.

Too cool at night?

Too hot during the day?

Both possibilities, but hard to be sure.  We should have had fruit set at LEAST two weeks ago.  And we still have nothing.

I don't know, but it sure is frustrating.  We were hoping to have tomatoes in early June.  At this point, the BEST we can hope for is LATE June.  

*sigh*

Oh well, at least I know that at SOME point, we are going to have a LOT of tomatoes.  :)  I was just hoping to have some good farmers market weekends before I am toting a newborn everywhere.  Speaking of, any volunteers to help us with farmers market in July?  :)



Beautiful plants!  Just can't find a single darn tomato.


Here you go.  It helps to place a three-year-old next to them for scale.  :)




1 comment:

Libby said...

Oh No! Wish we lived closer to help :(