Thursday, May 26, 2011

The ORIGINAL Bruce

After Dad's comments on my last post, I thought I would see if I could find some pictures of my Grandpa Bruce ... turns out I didn't have to dig very far!

I love these pictures ...


Yeah ... looks like he definitely knew a thing or two about chickens!


And dairy cows ... "Prize Cow!"


He was awefully handsome, wasn't he?  Kinda like this Bruce ...


(Come on, you didn't think I could post pictures without ONE of the little guy, did you?  Wish I had one of him with his spiffy new haircut ...)

Now, for answers to a few questions that have come up recently:

It's a little-known fact that you don't have to have a rooster to have eggs.  You do, however, have to have a rooster to get CHICKS (ie: fertilized eggs).  Makes sense when you think about it, doesn't it?  And since - as I said before - we don't plan to raise chickens, we have no need for a rooster.  I'm fairly confident that most people who have spent time around roosters (a typical rooster, not a weird "nice" rooster, that is ..) feel the same way I do ... better off without 'em. 

When you go to the feedstore to buy baby chicks, you can buy "straight run" chicks, which means they haven't been sexed so you get both roosters and hens.  Or, for a little more money, you can get chicks that have been sexed, so you know you are getting all pullets (baby hens).  In answer to the last question: I have no idea how to determine if the chick is a rooster or a hen.  That's why we paid more money.  :)

Hey!  Those "answers" totally made it sound like I know what I'm talking about!  Ha Ha!  That's funny!  I really don't know anything about chickens.  Anything AT ALL.  I actually had to buy a book about chickens just to learn the basics. 

And I'm on page nine. 

But I did already know that part about the eggs ...



P.S.  Gage assures me the snake was a bullsnake ... but I agree it doesn't look anything like the bullsnakes in Western Kansas. 

3 comments:

Sara Shaffer said...

Fun to see the pics!

And I believe it doesn't matter what kind of snake it was! A snake is a snake in my book :-)

Rhonda said...

Great pictures of both Bruces!!!!! And so fun to look at them... Snake? yikes... Where? I have such a fear of them after living as a child south of Healy... they were everywhere.... seemed like to a 7 year old... And to an almost 60 yr old now... Ewwww!

Waiting to hear from your brother and family... not sure they will stop here now... got to Eureka.... landed.... Hope you all are in MO safe and sound and you Dad having or going to have a great BD!!!

Wish we were closer for me to get some garden info... Oh and my Mom, the "original" Margaret, loves chicks and used to have them all the time....
:D
God Bless you and yours!

Abby said...

LOVE the pictures! So fun to have those to look at and show Bruce someday. :) The snake GROSSES me out, girl! Cute chikens, though. ;)