Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The BIG Garden

As promised, here are pictures of the BIG garden.  I decided to tempt fate and plant tomatoes last weekend.  Yes, I know we haven't hit our frost free date yet.  And yes, I know that it is forcasted to get down to 32 on Friday night.  But, I figured since I have 70 some plants it wouldn't hurt to gamble with 19 plants, right?  ESPECIALLY since we invested in hot caps this year (the tiny little domes over each plant), which should protect them from the cold.  If these guys look okay on Sunday, I will plant 19 more, which will be a whole row.


We have the big garden set up differently this year.  Instead of one BIG tilled garden, we have rows, separated by grassy walkways.  This will greatly help cut down on weeding and tilling.  In theory.  :)  Plus we plan to mulch, mulch, mulch this year.  We are TIRED of weeds taking over our garden.  This year we fight back!  (In theory ...)


This year we devoted two rows to strawberries, one to blackberries, and one to asparagus.  The rest of the rows will be annual crops - the tomatoes, of course, cucumbers, okra, and who know what else.

Now for the good stuff ... you didn't think I would post without pictures of Bruce did you?

Little man spent his first nights at Grandma's house!  Grandma "Didi" kept Bruce last Thursday and Friday while Gage and I chaperoned the Cedar Vale seniors' class trip to OKC.  Of course we brought Bruce goodies from Bass Pro Shop ... his very own camp chair and paddle!  After we sang Row, Row, Row Your Boat for him, all he would say is "row, row, row ..."  :)





1 comment:

Sara Shaffer said...

How fun! Your gardens look great and it looks like Bruce is really enjoying his chair and paddle. I pray you and Gage had a good trip.